Disclaimer: The library cannot provide legal advice. Librarians can help you find legal information resources but only attorneys admitted to practice may provide legal advice. Navigating legal issues is complex and self-represented litigants often do poorly in the court system. This site provides links to help you find lawyers and understand basic legal issues. While there are good sites on the Internet to find legal information, more detailed information may be available in print. For example, the library’s set of Pennsylvania statutes provides useful cross references to relevant cases that cite the statutes. That information is not freely available on the Internet.
LOCAL LEGAL LINKS
Find an attorney
- Monroe County Bar Association Attorney Referral Service
913 Main Street, Stroudsburg, PA 18360• phone: (570)424-7288
- North Penn Legal Services
10 North Tenth Street, Stroudsburg, PA 18360 • Phone: (570) 424-5338 • Toll Free: (800) 532-8282
North Penn Legal Services (NPLS) provides civil legal representation to low-income people and ensures equal access to justice for all. As a regional non-profit provider of civil legal aid for more than 40 years, NPLS offers assistance with these civil legal problems: consumer, education, family,
elderly, housing, utilities, domestic violence, employment, and public benefits.
- Lawyers.com – Lawyers.com uses the same database as the Martindale-Hubbell directory. It is a national database of attorneys that is searchable by location and practice area and provides some background on the attorneys and links to their websites.
- Catholic Charities provides low-cost legal assistance with immigration matters.
Monroe County Links
- Court website
- Legal forms for the Court of Common Pleas
- Court calendars
- Foreclosure Diversion Program
- Foreclosure Counseling – Free and low cost counseling is available from IntegraPA, a not-for-profit agency.
- Child Custody video for Monroe County – produced by NorthPenn Legal Services
- Additional Legal links from the Monroe County Bar Association
PENNSYLVANIA PRIMARY LEGAL MATERIALS
- Purdon’s Pennsylvania Statutes (unofficial) from WestlawNext
- Regulations – PA Code – current regulations
- PA Bulletin Weekly gazette of state rulemaking. Current issues and back issues from 1996 to present.
- Case law from Google Scholar – At the home page choose the button that says “case law” and choose “Pennsylvania Courts.” Google Scholar has state case law going back to 1950 and federal case law back to 1923. It is possible to search by citation or by topic. A citation search is the best way to retrieve a specific case.
- Pennsylvania Court Docket Sheets
- Municipal Codes – Local municipal codes are available from a number of publishers. Below are links to two sites that host codes for Pennsylvania municipalities:
PENNSYLVANIA LEGAL RESEARCH MATERIALS
- PA Law Help – Provides links to forms, videos, and other resources.
- Family law forms with online interviews from PA Law Help
- Pennsylvania Court Forms – From the State Courts
- Representing yourself in court
- Self-help resources from North Penn Legal Services
FEDERAL PRIMARY LEGAL MATERIALS
- United States Code – Current version of the federal statutes from the Office of Law Revision Counsel, publishers of the United States Code.
- Code of Federal Regulations The most current version of federal regulations from the U.S. Government Publishing Office
- Case law from Google Scholar – At the home page choose the button that says “case law” and choose “Federal Courts.” Google Scholar has federal case law back to 1923. It is possible to search by citation or by topic. A citation search is the best way to retrieve a specific case.
- U.S. Supreme Court Opinions – The most recent Supreme Court Opinions can be found at this site, along with related court documents.
- Justia.com – Good links to both federal and state legal materials and federal dockets.
- Federal Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal Court Dockets